Introducing: The Guitar! Introducing: The Guitar! eBook Edition is a skills-based course aimed at encouraging students to appreciate music as an art form through learning to perform music on the guitar. This course presumes no prior knowledge of the guitar and provides the opportunity for students to develop their understanding of the concepts of music in a step-by-step, logical manner.
This course provides students ample opportunity to explore the integrated learning experiences of performing, composing and listening – with particular emphasis placed on performing. Students will learn to read and interpret musical notation, perform chords and notes on the guitar, compose music and develop their understanding of the concepts of music through carefully organised listening activities.
• Divided into 3 progressive units.
• Performance, composition and listening assessment tasks with marking criteria.
• Backing tracks for all performance tasks.
• Literacy and numeracy activities.
• Extension activities.
• Rocky Rockodile illustrations making the student workbook appealing to younger music students.
• Easy to follow for both teachers and students.
• Downloadable worksheets.
• Teaching program.
UNIT 1 – THE GUITAR: AN INTRODUCTION
Throughout Unit 1, students:
• Learn to appreciate and tolerate music by defining ‘music’.
• Learn about maintaining correct posture whilst playing the guitar.
• Learn to perform A, E and D Major chords.
• Develop an understanding of crotchets, minims, semibreves and quavers.
• Learn about literacy through activities using apostrophes, capitals and full stops.
• Learn to compose music using A, E and D Major chords, and crotchets, minims, semibreves and quavers.
• Learn to notate simple rhythm patterns.
UNIT 2 – THE ELECTRIC GUITAR
Unit 2 – The Electric Guitar builds on the skills developed in Unit 1.
Throughout Unit 2, students:
• Learn about the difference between acoustic and electric guitars.
• Learn about tone colour and how guitar effects are used to create different sounds.
• Learn to perform G and C Major, and E and A Minor chords.
• Learn to perform music with multiple time signatures.
• Develop an understanding of semibreve, minim and crotchet rests.
• Develop an understanding of forte, piano, crescendo and diminuendo dynamics.
• Develop their composition skills by composing music using the concepts covered in Units 1 and 2.
UNIT 3 – THE NOTES OF THE GUITAR
Unit 3 – ‘The Notes of the Guitar’ is an extension unit that focuses on developing students’ ability to read and perform notes (as opposed to chords) on the guitar.
Throughout Unit 3, students:
• Develop an understanding of the musical alphabet and how to read notes on the treble clef.
• Learn to play the notes on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th strings of the guitar.
• Learn to compose music using the notes of the treble clef.